Are your hardwood floors looking dull & dingy? Are you ready to refinish them but want to avoid making common & costly mistakes? Refinishing hardwood floors is a great way to update the look of your home on a budget. However, doing right could save you more money & time than expected.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss common mistakes people make when refinishing their hardwood flooring that you should avoid to get the best results for an eco-friendly home without breaking the bank.
Whether you’re a homeowner or love doing DIY projects on a budget, this blog post is designed to provide informative & insightful knowledge about avoiding errors with refinishing your hardwood floors!
Create A Lasting Look For Less – Get A Pro Finish For Your Wood Floor At Home
Refinishing hardwood floors can be a fulfilling & rewarding project for any DIY enthusiast. However, even the most experienced handyperson can make mistakes along the way. Avoiding common pitfalls is crucial to ensure the best possible outcome.
- One of the most common mistakes is not preparing the floor properly. Skipping steps such as sanding & cleaning can result in an uneven finish & poor adhesion.
- Another error to avoid is not selecting the correct finish for your specific hardwood. Choosing the wrong finish can cause discoloration or even damage to the wood.
By avoiding these common mishaps, you can ensure a beautiful & long-lasting result for your hardwood floors.
How To Choose The Right Finish For Your Floors?
Your hardwood floors hold a special place in your home, providing warmth & timeless charm for years. But after years of foot traffic & wear & tear, choosing the right finish for your hardwood floor refinishing project is important.
The type of finish you select will depend on several factors, such as wood type, style & traffic flow in the room.
- For example, if you have a high-traffic area like a kitchen or entryway, you’ll need a more durable finish that can withstand wear & tear.
- For glossy looks, choose oil-based polyurethane finishes. These are applied in layers & require multiple coats for maximum protection.
- For matte looks, go with water-based polyurethane. It’s a bit trickier & requires more maintenance, but it will give your hardwood floors a more natural look & feel.
Whether you’re looking for a high-gloss finish or a more natural, matte look, your finish can make all the difference. With so many options available, it’s important to research a finish that looks great & provides the durability & protection your floors need to withstand daily use.
Tips For Maintaining Your Refinished Hardwood Floors
Once you’ve successfully refinished your hardwood floors, enjoy the beauty of your newly renovated flooring. But remember to care & maintain your new look!
- Vacuum regularly with a soft brush attachment to remove dust & debris.
- Protect your floors from scratches using area rugs or mats in high-traffic areas.
- Mop with a hardwood floor cleaner & water to keep your floors looking fresh.
- Avoid using wax or oil-based polishes on finished wood.
These are just a few tips for keeping your newly refinished hardwood floors in top condition! In addition, be mindful of furniture legs & high-heeled shoes that could leave scuff marks.
By following these simple steps, you can rest easy knowing your refinished hardwood floors will continue to shine for years.
Creative Ideas To Enhance The Look Of Your Refinished Hardwood Floors
Refinishing your hardwood floors can be a great way to breathe new life into your home without too much effort or cost. But why stop there? With some creative ideas, you can enhance the look of your refinished wood floors.
- Add tape details or intricate designs with stencils for an unexpected visual effect.
- Choose from various edging treatments to create a unique border around the floor.
- Pair your refinished hardwood floors with an area rug, or throw in bold colors & patterns for extra flair.
- Polish up those wood floors with high-gloss sealers to give them a classic look that lasts years.
- Or, install a unique inlay or parquet pattern to give your floors a special touch.
The possibilities are endless! With a bit of creativity & some research, you can create beautiful hardwood floors that will be the envy of all your friends & family.
Transform Your Home With Supreme Hardwood’s Refinished Hardwood Floors
Refinishing hardwood floors can be a major undertaking, but the reward of doing it properly is a beautiful & long-lasting floor that will benefit you for many years.
- By avoiding common mistakes, ensuring you pick the right finish, & maintaining your refinished floors, you can help ensure they will remain to look their best.
- Creative design elements & color choices can also give your wood floors a unique look that represents your style.
- Ultimately, to take the guesswork out of picking the right refinish & results that stand up to foot traffic, it’s always best to get expert guidance on all things related to flooring projects.
That’s why Supreme Hardwood Floors should be your first choice when considering refinishing the wood floors in your home-we have an experienced team who have been working with clients for over 20 years & are committed to providing high-quality services for each project.
Contact us today & let us show you how we can help you create an inviting space in your home with refinished hardwood floors!
Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Finish For My Hardwood Floors?
The best finish depends on several factors, such as wood type, style & traffic flow in the room. Oil-based polyurethane finishes provide a glossy look, while water-based polyurethanes offer a more natural, matte look.
How Much Does It Cost To Refinish Hardwood Floors?
The cost to refinish hardwood floors can vary based on the size of the room, the type of wood & the finish selected. You can pay between $1-$4 per square foot for a professional job.
How Often Should I Refinish My Hardwood Floors?
Most hardwood floors are to be refinished every 7- years, depending on how much care they receive. Regular maintenance & cleaning will help extend the life of your flooring.
What Is The Best Way To Clean My Refinished Hardwood Floors?
The best way to clean your refinished hardwood floors is with a microfiber mop, warm water & a wood floor cleaner. Avoid using wax or oil-based polishes on finished wood.
Is Refinishing Hardwood Floors Difficult?
Refinishing hardwood floors is a simple process, but it does require attention to detail. It’s important to prepare the floor properly & select the correct finish for your particular wood. Working with a professional can help ensure you get the best results.
Does Refinishing Affect The Color Of My Hardwood Floors?
Yes, refinishing can affect the color of your wood floors. The exact effect depends on the type of finish you use & how many coats are applied. It’s always best to consult a professional before selecting a finish to avoid any unexpected discoloration.
What Sandpaper Should I Use To Refinish My Hardwood Floors?
For most projects, a 120-grit sandpaper is a good choice. The finer the grit, the smoother & shinier the finish will be. Coarser paper will result in a more rustic look.
Can I Refinish My Hardwood Floors Myself?
Yes, you can refinish your hardwood floors if you have the knowledge & tools to do so safely. However, it’s always best to consult a professional for major projects, as they have the experience to ensure you get the best results.
Is It Cheaper To Refinish Hardwood Floors Or Replace Them?
In most cases, refinishing the existing floor is more cost-effective than replacing it. Refinishing costs approximately $1-$4 per square foot, while replacement can cost up to $7-$15 per square foot.
How Long Does It Take To Refinish Hardwood Floors?
The total time it takes to complete a refinishing project will depend on the size of the room & the condition of the existing floor. Generally, a professional job can be completed in one day. However, for larger areas, plan on two days.
We hope this blog post has provided you with helpful advice & insight on refinishing hardwood floors. For more information or to start your project, contact Supreme Hardwood Floors today! We’re here to help you create a beautiful & lasting look for less.